Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cheesy Quinoa Cakes with Remoulade Sauce

Whoops! I didn't realize it had been so long since my last post. However, I've spent the past two months trying lots of new recipes, so now I have a lot to write about!

I did stumble across a new quinoa recipe on Pinterest this week, and it was delicious, healthy, filling, and there were lots of leftovers! It's a win-win situation! Plus, I think it would be easy to freeze, and I love when things are baked into individual servings. It was so easy to make and we had everything on hand!



Cheesy Quinoa Cakes
(Originally found at So Very Blessed )

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups cooked quinoa
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup shredded carrot
  • 2 stalks green onion, diced (We were out of onions, so I used 1 tsp of onion powder)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I substituted parsley instead)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used 2 cups of cheese...I like things very cheesy!)
  • 2 Tbs all-purpose flour(I used whole-wheat flour)
  • 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
 1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Mix together quinoa, carrot, egg, green onion, garlic, cilantro, cheese, flour, salt and pepper.
3.  Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (1 heaping Tbs each).
4.  Bake for 15-20 minutes.

I wanted bigger servings, so I used a regular muffin tin and added 5 more minutes to the baking time. They turned out so lovely, with a slight crunch to the outside. My mom said they tasted like cheesy biscuits! Success!

This blog recommends using Honey Dijon, salsa, or sour cream to dip them in, but I wanted something with a Cajun flair! I ended up adapting a Remoulade sauce, and it was so yummy!

Stephanie's Remoulade Dipping Sauce

½ cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp spicy brown mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
lemon juice- I just squeezed a wedge of lemon
1 spoonful of minced garlic
chili powder to taste
Creole Seasoning to taste
1 tbsp Tabasco Sauce
1 tsp garlic salt

The actual recipe can be found at All Recipes

0 comments:

Post a Comment