Friday, January 10, 2014

Gluten Free Chicken & Dumplings with Leftover Chicken

On Tuesday, I roasted a chicken for dinner, but I never know what to do with the leftovers. In the summer I normally make chicken salad, but I wasn't really feeling the chicken and rice soup I had planned. It's been super cold (for me) in Georgia this week, and after a bad day the day before I really wanted some comfort food- so I decided to try Gluten Free Chicken and Dumplings for the first time!

I'm also experiemeting with measuring my flours with a scale to see if it helps my baking, and forgot to convert some of these numbers. I'll try to next time! This was delicious and is my new favorite way to reuse cooked chicken. I haven't tried reheating it yet, but plan to add to this post once I do!



Gluten Free Leftover Chicken & Dumplings

What You Need:

2 TBSP butter (I used Kerry Gold)
Shredded Carrots (I'm not a huge cooked carrot fan, so I used about a cup)
Sliced Mushrooms (I used a container of baby portobello)
1 small onion, diced (I used a Vidalia Sweet Onion)
2 Large spoonfuls of minced Garlic (more or less to your taste)
1 TBSP Sage
Chicken Broth (I make my own; used about 4 Quarts to almost fill up my 6 qt Dutch oven- you can add more or less depending on how much you want)
Leftover chicken
Salt & Pepper to Taste
1-3 heaping spoonfuls of gluten free flour

For the dumplings I used:

280g of Bob's Red Mill Biscuit and Baking Mix (I think this may be roughly over 2 1/4 cups, but I'm not 100%)
8 TBSP cold butter
1/2 Cup of Buttermilk
1/2 Cup Plain Whole Milk Yogurt
1 TBSP Baking Powder
1 1/2 TSP Salt

How to Make It:

I started by making the dumplings, which are basically dough for buttermilk biscuits. I mixed the dry ingredients together with a whisk and then cut in the butter with a pastry cutter. Next, make a well in the center and add the wet ingredients- I mixed the yogurt and milk in a measuring cup before adding it to the flour. Stir with a rubber spatula until the dough is formed. I made 8-9 little biscuit dough patties and left them in the bowl.

Heat the butter in a dutch oven until melted. Add the carrots and mushrooms and cook until softened- about 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and onions and cook until softened- another 5 minutes. Add the sage, and then add 1-3 spoonfuls of flour and stir for another 3 minutes to coat the vegetables.

Add the chicken broth and bring the pot to a boil- stirring as needed. Once it's boiling, bring it down to a simmer, and add the already cooked chicken. (Be sure to tear your chicken into bite sized pieces before adding!) Drop the dumpling dough on top and cover. Continue to simmer for another 20-25 minutes.

Turn on the broiler, and uncover your dutch oven. Put the pot under the broiler until the tops of the dumplings are brown!



This is a cool recipe because you could use whichever vegetables you like! It's easy to personalize if you want more or less chicken, carrots, etc. I'll definitely make it again!











0 comments:

Post a Comment