Monday, January 20, 2014

Saffron-Coconut Soup

First off, if you're planning this recipe be sure to find your saffron in advance! Be warned- it's expensive, but it truly makes the soup delicious! I went to three different Publix stores before finally finding it at Kroger. Apparently it's super popular... heh!

Anyways, this soup is great because it's quick and simple. I made it a day ahead of schedule, and it reheated well. You can vary the amount of spiciness to your liking. I used my Dutch Oven because I love it...hehehehe.

This recipe serves 4 people with about 2-3 helpings leftover depending on your bowl size.

What You Need:

4 13.5 oz Cans of Organic Coconut Milk (I find it in the Thai Food section of my grocery store)
Small Pinch of Saffron Threads

The spices I added to taste: I'll work on better measurements next time I make it!

3 TBSP Lemongrass Paste (I couldn't find fresh lemongrass so I found the paste in the fresh herb section)
2 TBSP Garlic Powder
2 TSP Celery seed
1 TBSP Coriander
1 TBSP Tumeric
1 TBSP Cumin
1 TSP Ginger

Cayenne Pepper, Chili Pepper and Red Pepper Flakes to taste (ie- pour some in, stir it, taste it, repeat if necessary)

Large handful of fresh cilantro

I also sautéed some baby portobello mushrooms to add and it was delicious! That's it! Just bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and keep experimenting with spices until you find your perfect level of spiciness.









0 comments:

Post a Comment