Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin

Recently, I've developed a slight obsession with spaghetti squash. It's strange because I really don't care for any other squash. I never even knew about spaghetti squash until last year, and it still fascinates me! Coolest vegetable ever- starts like a pumpkin and after it's roasted, it spaghetti-fies!

This is my current favorite way to eat it, because it reminds me of one of my absolute favorite childhood dishes, hashbrown casserole. It makes me love vegetables, and I hate them with a a passion. Normally, I have to puree them into things and hide them like I'm feeding a toddler. Heh.

Anywho,

Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin

Only three ingredients, and it actually tastes better the second day! Woohoo for make ahead meals!

What you need:

1 Spaghetti Squash
1 cup -2 cups Sour Cream (I normally use 1 cup, but you may want more!)
8 oz of sharp cheddar cheese, grated

What to do:

To cook the spaghetti squash, preheat the oven to 350*. Use a sharp knife and cut the spaghetti squash in half longways. (It reminds me of a pumpkin...) Clean out the insides with a spoon- again think pumpkin. Save the seeds- they're easy to roast later, and I think they taste better than pumpkin seeds!

Put each side cut side down on a cookie sheet so the rind is facing you. Roast for 25-35 minutes. When it's done you should be able to lift one up, and it's soft and may be slightly brown.

This is the fun part- using a fork, rake out the insides into a bowl! It magically turns into 'noodles' that also taste good with spaghetti squash if you want to mix it up!

Dump the sour cream and cheese in with the spaghetti squash 'noodles' and stir to coat. Scrape into a glass 9 x 12 baking dish, flatten with a spoon, and bake for another 20 minutes until the cheese starts to bubble!

That's it! You could probably add onions, or other things too- I've just been too lazy!


So yummy! I think I topped this slice with chives :)








0 comments:

Post a Comment